Sunday, July 26, 2015

THE SCOTUS ruling for marriage equality 5-4 at approximately just after 10 a.m. on June 26, 2015, only one month ago, was a humongous time in our country's history.  On and off since 2000, I've volunteered for nonprofits advocating for gay rights.  The Human Rights Campaign, GLSEN, Options Newsmagazine, and Maine's Campaign for Marriage Equality, with the hope that one day, I could get married again, if I ever wanted to.  Thank you to many friends I've met over the years for all your consistent, tireless advocacy to make that day a reality.

While on my travels this year and into 2016, it will be fantastic to meet gay couples planning on marrying, to listen to their stories of how they met, and their deepest feelings about what this ruling means to them.  I don't know if Keatie will be with me for the entire trip as she is in end-stage liver failure with about five months left though I feel she's got much more in her.   Knowing her, she'll let me know when she's ready to let go.  It's always in her eyes, she speaks to me from a deep level and let's me know how she's feeling.  One would never know she's as sick as she is as she's  happy, eating well, and is playing ball like only a mad female type A Jack Russell can, with her fav regular sized or mini yellow tennis balls.  While shopping for the trip the other day, I picked up an electric orange  (anyone bleed 4282 orange out there that is reading this?) frisbee for her that I know she'll love for sure.


No comments:

Post a Comment